We've all known for a long time that we need to be doing more to look after our planet - it's the only one we've got, after all.
However, Sir David Attenborough's most recent wildlife series, Blue Planet II, provided a real wake-up call for many of us, as heartbreaking footage was shown of the damage that our disposal of plastic waste is having on our oceans and marine wildlife.
The following few shocking facts show the true impact of plastic on our planet:
- We have produced more plastic in the last 10 years than we did in the whole of the last century: in 1950 - 50 million tons of plastic; in 2008 - 245 million tons of plastic;
- Shoppers worldwide use approximately 1 million bags every minute or 150 bags every year for every person on earth;
- Only 1 in 5 plastic water bottles are recycled;
- Every year 6.4 million tons of plastic are dumped into the ocean;
- 100,000 marine creatures die every year from plastic entanglement;
- Thousands of tonnes of plastic microbeads from products such as exfoliating face scrubs and toothpastes wash into the sea every year, where they harm wildlife;
NATURE IS A MIRACLE WE DEPEND UPON
THE SMALL PART WE CAN PLAY AT HEYLAND & WHITTLE
Here at Heyland & Whittle the team is determined to reduce our packaging waste and aim to be plastic free as soon as variable alternatives are possible.
HOWEVER, WE FEEL IT IS IMPORTANT TO START THE CHANGE!
We are offering different packaging alternatives for our motivated and concerned customers.
At Heyland & Whittle, we pride ourselves that we can offer wrapping our Handmade Soap Bars in recyclable paper, saving on the presentation box.
Our collection: Handmade Soap Bars
You may have already noticed that we are still packaging our Body Wash and Hand Wash products in plastic bottles. All of the plastic bottles that we use are made from high-quality PET (polyethylene terephthalate), which has consistently been proven to be safe to use, and it's completely recyclable.
Our collection: Soaps Washes & Lotions
We've combined salt granules and bamboo to create a gently exfoliating scrub that is suitable for all skin types. You won't find any synthetic microbeads in our body scrubs - we believe in using natural ingredients for the good of your skin and the environment. On top of this, we don't use any parabens in our Body scrubs and each batch is handmade.
Our collection: Luxurious Body Scrubs
The Earth is what we all have in common
ONLY YOU CAN MAKE IT HAPPEN